Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Got a new leg!

Well..... not a totally new leg.  Just a new ligament in my ankle.  Actually, not really a new ligament.... more like a repaired ligament.  So, to sum up, nothing new, just fixed.  Which kind of negates my title a little bit....

Oh well.

Remember the "incident" from last March that resulted in some ligament tears and a fracture in my ankle?  Well, after a few more MRIs and a lot of residual pain, my orthopedist determined that I still had damage to one of the lateral ligaments in my ankle.  So I had surgery on Monday to repair the ligament.

My little brother Ben came into town last Thursday to help me out post-surgery.  We had a few days of fun while I was still on 2 legs that included the Farmer's Market, horseback riding, and a beautiful afternoon of surfing.



Surgery went well.  Honestly, the worst part of the whole day was having to be stuck with needles 4 different times for a catheter because my veins are so sucky (and yes, I am aware what a fabulous picture this is of myself...).


My friend Steph is a labor and delivery nurse in the hospital and she hooked me up with a fantastic anesthesiologist.  Surgery and anesthesia went great (I was in such great spirits that according to the nurses, right before I went under I gave my surgeon a thumbs-up and said "good luck everyone!  Do a good job, ok?!"), and I felt great the rest of that day.

I have a plaster cast on for now and have my first post-op appointment on Friday to see how the incision is healing up.


Ben has been wonderful at taking care of me (he has been making me dinner, doing the laundry, and occupying the dogs....woo hoo!), and I've had so many of my friends and co-workers call and check up on me this week.  I'm lucky to have such wonderful people surrounding me!  Now I need to wean myself off the percoset and into the walking boot and I'll be good to go!  I am super excited to finally have an ankle that works again and will let me ride a horse for longer than 45 minutes at a time :)

ttfn!
ap

No comments:

Post a Comment